President and Trial AttorneySteve@BrowerLawGroup.com
Steven Brower is an award-winning trial lawyer and appellate advocate with more than forty years of experience in high profile business litigation and insurance coverage disputes for both plaintiffs and defendants. His practice involves all types of civil litigation with particular emphasis on insurance coverage (primarily for policyholders), computer technology (including software failures, e-discovery consulting and finding “John Doe” on the internet), intellectual property, trade secrets, breach of contract, fraud, libel and professional liability (malpractice). He has been lead counsel on multiple jury trials (including 5 jury trials in just 5 months in 2019), multiple bench trials, arbitrations, over 400 mediations, and appeals (some published) in multiple jurisdictions.
Prior to founding the Brower Law Group in 2018, Mr. Brower was a partner at Buchalter for more than 10 years, and previously worked at several other major law firms.
Prior to attending Law School, Mr. Brower was a journalist and a computer programmer, and was the first non-scientist to have regular use of the internet.
- Affirmed 9th Circuit SLAPP Award
Professional and Community Activities:
- Chair, Orange County Bar Association Business Litigation Section
- Member, America Business Trial Lawyers Association
Awards and Honors:
- Top 50 Breach of Contract verdicts, California, 2019.
- Association of Corporate Counsel – “50 Tips on Insurance Coverage Every Inhouse Counsel Should Know”
- Brower Law Group, A Professional Corporation
Founding trial attorney (January 2018-Present)
- Buchalter Nemer
Litigation Shareholder (May 2007-December 2017) in the Orange County, California office
- Stephan, Oringher, Richman & Theodora fka Ginsburg, Stephan, Oringher & Richman
Litigation Partner (April 1993-May 2007) in the Orange County, California office
- Katten Muchin Zavis & Weitzman
Litigation Partner (March 1991-March 1993) in the Orange County office
- Wyman Bautzer Kuchel & Silbert
Senior litigation associate (January 1989-March 1991) in the Orange County office
- Wood Lucksinger & Epstein
Litigation Partner (1986-January 1989) and litigation associate (1983 to 1996) in the Los Angeles Office
- Flame Sanger Grayson & Ginsburg
Litigation associate (1980-1983) and law clerk (1977-1980)
Special Legal Experience
- Arbitrator on a 25 day arbitration for computer software in North Carolina. There were 3 arbitrators (2 party appointed) but we had a unanimous decision.
- Sole arbitrator on 2 separate arbitrations in Dayton, Ohio.
- Mediator (Ohio, California) on multiple technology matters (software, anti-SPAM)
- Arbitrator, appointed by CPR, on multiple (25+) domain name disputes under the ICANN UDRP rules
- Neutral (arbitrator & mediator) on CPR Panels for Insurance Coverage, Technology Cases, E-Discovery, General Litigation (formal CPR training)
- Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association, special panel for Data Processing Specialists (panel no longer exists)
- Ethics for insurance coverage counsel, testified by deposition (Chicago) – 1992
- Insurance coverage, testified by written submission (Las Vegas) – 1989
- Computer software contracting, testified at arbitration (Los Angeles) – 1988
- Computer security, filmed segment for “60 Minutes” (unaired) – 1984
Judge Pro Tempore
- Judge Pro Tempore, Orange County Superior Court, Law & Motion (affirmed 3-0 on appeal, Cloverly v. DMV (1992) 1 Cal.App.4th 870)
- Judge Pro Tempore, Los Angeles Municipal Court in Civil Trials, Small Claims and in Traffic Court, 1985-88
Computer Technology Background
Programmer, primarily on IBM systems, 1973-1982, including IBM 360/91, 3033, System/34 and System/38. Primary languages were COBOL, RPG II (self-taught in one night), SPSS and APL. Worked for several business units at UCLA, a major bank (UCB) and a law firm. Taught IBM JCL.
Possibly the first non-scientist with regular access (since 1972) to the Internet (then the Arpanet).
Certificate in Data Processing (high scorer)
Association of Data Processing Services Organizations 1984-1990.
Association of Computing Machinery, Member of the Los Angeles Chapter Board, 1981-1984.
- University of California, Los Angeles School of Law
- Juris Doctor, 1980
- University of California, Los Angeles
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, 1976
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. 1st Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia